Andrew Gold's Ride's Here
lpfeffa
2011-06-06 17:16:03 UTC
http://www.latimes.com/news/obituaries/la-me-andrew-gold-20110606,0,7388391.story

Considering all that went on around here with Gold & WZ's
Terrible Announcement, I though it appropriate that we
acknowledge his passing.

- Lucy
I***@aol.com
2011-06-20 06:50:39 UTC
http://www.latimes.com/news/obituaries/la-me-andrew-gold-20110606,0,7...
Considering all that went on around here with Gold & WZ's
Terrible Announcement, I though it appropriate that we
acknowledge h
is passing.
   - Lucy
Not to disrespect the dead, but I absolutely HATED that "Lonely Boy"
song. Actually, I still do.

Garry
lpfeffa
2011-06-20 11:56:02 UTC
Post by lpfeffa
http://www.latimes.com/news/obituaries/la-me-andrew-gold-20110606,0,7...
Considering all that went on around here with Gold& WZ's
Terrible Announcement, I though it appropriate that we
acknowledge h
is passing.
- Lucy
Not to disrespect the dead, but I absolutely HATED that "Lonely Boy"
song. Actually, I still do.
Garry
I don't even remember it. When I see "Lonely Boy," I think
of Paul Anka.

-- Lucy
j***@LYC0S.C0M
2011-06-21 11:15:39 UTC
Post by lpfeffa
Post by lpfeffa
http://www.latimes.com/news/obituaries/la-me-andrew-gold-20110606,0,7...
Considering all that went on around here with Gold& WZ's
Terrible Announcement, I though it appropriate that we
acknowledge h
is passing.
- Lucy
Not to disrespect the dead, but I absolutely HATED that "Lonely Boy"
song. Actually, I still do.
Garry
I don't even remember it.
Yeah, me neither. Clicked on the snippet of the song on AllMusic
(always problematic, since it sounds like it could make for an all-day
"annoying song earworm") but I STILL don't recognize it. I think, well,
I know there have been many periods in my life when I didn't listen to
music on the radio. I think I'm better off for it, too.

Looks like Gold did a number of Beatle tributes- who knew? I gotta say
I always confuse him with J. D. Souther- "another blond California based
pretty boy" in my mind. Plus one of his almost-hits was called "You're
Only Lonely", right? (I did like his song, "Safe at Home" he did with
the minor league "Crosby, Stills and Nash" style supergroup, Souther,
Hillman, Furay).
Post by lpfeffa
When I see "Lonely Boy," I think of Paul Anka.
Wait, a minute. Clicked on that snippet* and while I remember that song
(as a scratched up 45 several years old already being played at 6th
grade dances because the people who controlled the record player hadn't
caught "Beatlemania" yet) I was thinking of a song from that same
pre-British Invasion era that went

"Lonely, I'm Mister Lonely...." So what song/singer is that?

___
* I'm afraid that one could become my all-day earworm now...
lpfeffa
Bobby Vinton
j***@LYC0S.C0M
2011-06-21 13:47:04 UTC
Post by lpfeffa
Post by lpfeffa
When I see "Lonely Boy," I think of Paul Anka.
Wait, a minute. Clicked on that snippet* and while I
remember that song (as a scratched up 45 several years old
already being played at 6th grade dances because the people
who controlled the record player hadn't caught "Beatlemania"
yet) I was thinking of a song from that same pre-British
Invasion era that went
"Lonely, I'm Mister Lonely...." So what song/singer is that?
___
* I'm afraid that one could become my all-day earworm now...
Bobby Vinton
Wait ---, so you're saying "Bobby Vinton" and "Paul Anka" *aren't* the
same person? I just thought it was the same guy who signed contracts
with two different record labels... (I mean, it was hard to raise a
family on those royalties of .5¢/per 45rpm - minus company expenses and
"promotional costs" >wink, wink< ).

Earworm update - Walkin' around the flea market this morning, it was a
battle between "Mr. Lonely" and Souther's "You're Only Lonely".

Final outcome to be announced later (after I mow the lawn oughta do it).
lpfeffa
2011-06-21 17:15:12 UTC
Post by j***@LYC0S.C0M
Post by lpfeffa
Post by lpfeffa
[...]
Vinton's a Polack (My Aunt Francie's favorite nice Polish
boy that wasn't a relative). Anka's Canadian. They may
both have dated Annette, but I'm not sure. ;-)