The good ole days
Iain
2008-03-31 20:19:41 UTC
Lucy - has anyone ever heard from Diane Berger? I do remember her
website fondly.

And what happened to Howard (or is that the sort of question one doesn't
ask?)

Iain
Dan
I think Howard decided to pack it up. -- Dan
Lucy Pfeffa
2008-04-01 00:25:01 UTC
Post by Iain
Lucy - has anyone ever heard from Diane Berger? I do remember her
website fondly.
And what happened to Howard (or is that the sort of question one doesn't
ask?)
Iain
I haven't heard from Diane or Denise lately. On rare occasions, I'll
get a call from Edna and Lexi & Per-Gunnar sometime show up on the BB.
Snake and Patrick are regulars over there. PeteH lurks.

I'm not sure *what* happened to Howard. I can understand if the BB
wasn't to his liking, but for him to disappear from here as well doesn't
seem quite natural. <shrug> I trust he's ok, healthwise.

-- Lucy
Dan
I emailed him after he left, and he said he is OK. -- Dan
Joanne Corsano
2008-04-01 15:04:05 UTC
Things sure are quiet around here since Howard stopped posting. I miss
his posts, but can sympathize with his wish to move on. He used to
write highly literate and deeply thought out posts, and those take a
lot of time to write. It's simply a matter of how you choose to spend
your time.

I myself don't often feel particularly inspired to post here, either,
although I still check this newsgroup often hoping someone will have
said something interesting relating to the world of Zevon.

I'm glad a lot of the same folks are still lurking here. I've been
reading this newsgroup for at least a decade and I would hate to have
it fade into complete oblivion.

Joanne

at http://www.TitanNews.com <<<<
Iain
2008-04-02 19:04:28 UTC
Indeed, Joanne - could always rely on some posts from Howard when I
checked in occasionally, as well as the amazing effort on the dvd- I
seem to remember some hassle for him on that topic. A decade, eh? I
remember my first post to amz in 1992! Probably about the Zevon
references in Iain Banks books. Still cant think who the exes referred
to in the book as trolling the ng were.
Nice to see the responses though, good to know there are still people
out there. There's a group on Facebook called "people who get Warren
Zevon references" - had to join it!

Iain
Lucy Pfeffa
2008-04-03 02:06:35 UTC
Post by Iain
Still cant think who the exes referred
to in the book as trolling the ng were.
I found it once and it was definitely ugly. I used "google groups" and
started searching back a few weeks from the date in his journal. There
was the first ugliness and then there was a second one, yet the second
one, posted by someone else, seemed...well, ugly in tone, but there were
a lot of lyrics quoted. Later, the poster admitted it was made up and
done for a reason - to show that anybody can say anything in usenet -
that doesn't make it true.

The whole thing sounded very stupid & juvenile to me. Crazies just come
out of the woodwork, don't they?

There is absolutely no way in hell I would want to have even a modicum
of fame.

-- Lucy, missing Snookboy.
g***@brew-master.com
2008-04-04 22:55:22 UTC
On Tue, 01 Apr 2008 11:04:05 -0400, Joanne Corsano
Post by Joanne Corsano
I'm glad a lot of the same folks are still lurking here. I've been
reading this newsgroup for at least a decade and I would hate to have
it fade into complete oblivion.
Joanne
I like to pop in and download headers every few days. I sure do miss
the good ole days when we would talk about setlists, the new album
cover and Warren's reluctance to shake hands :-)
Leo
Lucy Pfeffa
2008-04-05 00:34:43 UTC
Post by Joanne Corsano
I'm glad a lot of the same folks are still lurking here. I've been
reading this newsgroup for at least a decade and I would hate to have
it fade into complete oblivion.
Joanne
I like to pop in and download headers every few days. I sure do miss
the good ole days when we would talk about setlists, the new album
cover and Warren's reluctance to shake hands :-)
Leo
I miss Jack Majick (or whatever his name was...) finding WZ's wallet and
wanting to return it to him.

Mostly, I miss Snookboy.

-- Lucy
lougre
2008-04-05 17:26:27 UTC
Post by Lucy Pfeffa
I miss Jack Majick (or whatever his name was...) finding WZ's
wallet and
Post by Lucy Pfeffa
wanting to return it to him.
   -- Lucy
I lost my wallet this week, and a Togolese taxi driver returned it to
me.

-- Louise
Lucy Pfeffa
2008-04-05 19:12:22 UTC
Post by Lucy Pfeffa
wanting to return it to him.
-- Lucy
I lost my wallet this week, and a Togolese taxi driver returned it to
me.
-- Louise
Was his name Jack Majick? Did he find you because you had tinfoil up on
your windows?

Damn, we used to have fun around here.

-- Lucy
lougre
2008-04-06 18:37:56 UTC
 Did he find you because you had tinfoil up on your windows?
Not because of the tinfoil -- in spite of it.

-- Louise
I***@aol.com
2008-04-07 06:23:41 UTC
Post by Joanne Corsano
Things sure are quiet around here since Howard stopped posting. I miss
his posts, but can sympathize with his wish to move on. He used to
write highly literate and deeply thought out posts, and those take a
lot of time to write. It's simply a matter of how you choose to spend
your time.
I myself don't often feel particularly inspired to post here, either,
although I still check this newsgroup often hoping someone will have
said something interesting relating to the world of Zevon.
I'm glad a lot of the same folks are still lurking here. I've been
reading this newsgroup for at least a decade and I would hate to have
it fade into complete oblivion.
Joanne
I still lurk here occasionally, but I don't post since there isn't
much going on. It's funny that all the Usenet groups I used to
participate in have pretty much either faded away or were overrun by
spam and trolls (rec.music.dylan; alt.elvis.king)...the Springsteen
group is about the only one I even bother to check regularly
anymore.

I thought of Warren yesterday...my mom is trying to make some extra
storage space in her house by getting rid of her album collection,
about 1,000 discs from the 1950s to the 1990s, and I was helping her
move them. Her only Zevon album was "Warren Zevon," and I had to stop
and look at the cover for a minute when I came across it. It had been
so long since I had seen it in actual album size...what a great cover
pic, and how young he looked. CD covers just never produced the same
excitement for me that I used to have when I first saw an album in a
store...maybe I'm just getting old.

Garry
Peter Huish
2008-04-07 12:13:05 UTC
Post by I***@aol.com
Post by Joanne Corsano
I myself don't often feel particularly inspired to post here, either,
although I still check this newsgroup often hoping someone will have
said something interesting relating to the world of Zevon.
There was always the other stuff that got tossed in here about other
similarly under regarded artists. Like your Graham Parker stuff. I
think that by and large the folks that frequented here had an
interesting range of tast in music and the group ethos did not preclude
you commenting on someone other than WZ.
Post by I***@aol.com
I still lurk here occasionally, but I don't post since there isn't
much going on. It's funny that all the Usenet groups I used to
participate in have pretty much either faded away or were overrun by
spam and trolls (rec.music.dylan; alt.elvis.king)...
That Dylan group is sad. Some very knowledgable people posted there and
it is sad to see them swamped.
Joanne Corsano
2008-04-07 12:27:19 UTC
Post by I***@aol.com
I thought of Warren yesterday...my mom is trying to make some extra
storage space in her house by getting rid of her album collection,
about 1,000 discs from the 1950s to the 1990s, and I was helping her
move them. Her only Zevon album was "Warren Zevon," and I had to stop
and look at the cover for a minute when I came across it. It had been
so long since I had seen it in actual album size...what a great cover
pic, and how young he looked. CD covers just never produced the same
excitement for me that I used to have when I first saw an album in a
store.
Garry
It's obvious that LP-sized album art has more impact than CD-sized
album art, and also that LP-sized inserts and liner notes are far
better than those tiny-print, hard to fold CD inserts. Not only that,
but the whole experience of LPs has a tactile quality that CDs don't
have as much, and MP3 downloads don't have at all.

In the good ole days, one used to go to a record store and buy an LP,
and it would be wrapped in plastic. One would bring it home and slice
the plastic with a knife or a letter opener. The plastic had a smell
(the "new LP smell," not the new car smell) that created a Pavlovian
response, a feeling of happy anticipation. Then putting the record on
the turntable continued the tactile experience that was connected with
listening to the music. Sometimes the record label would create an
interesting visual effect while the turntable turned. Then turning the
record over would further engage the listener.

I don't think it's far-fetched to say that listening to music on LP
involves the listener in a way that CDs or MP3s don't.

Joanne

Post by I***@aol.com
at http://www.TitanNews.com <<<<
Robert Neugarten
2008-04-07 13:31:14 UTC
Post by Joanne Corsano
[...]
Neither is it far-fetched to state that going to a record store, seeing
thousands and thousands of albums or discs, feeling them in your hands,
checking even the most arcane information on the cover, being informed about
new and yet-to-appear releases by a kindly and knowledgeable staff member
and hanging out with like-minded music lovers (geeks, if you will) added
something to the experience that dowloading from iTunes lacks. I point all
of this out because I'm miffed about the imminent closure of my favourite
indie record store.
Lucy Pfeffa
2008-04-07 18:57:23 UTC
Post by Robert Neugarten
I'm miffed about the imminent closure of my favourite
indie record store.
You know, I had pre-ordered Jordan's new CD from Amazon. I just
cancelled it the other day. I'm going over to Decatur CD - the indie
store in my town - and buy it there. :-)

-- Lucy, doing what she can.
Iain
2008-04-07 18:48:02 UTC
I had to go through my vinyl the other day - was told it had to
go out in the garage - found a promo of Wanted Dead or Alive! I'd
completely forgotten I had it.

Still the album I listen to least. At the moment, the Rosarita Beach
Cafe is never far from the top of my playlist!

Cheers

Iain

(remembering trading tapes for paint with Snakeacp!)
-- Lucy, doing what she can.
p***@gmail.com
2008-05-15 12:29:53 UTC
Post by Iain
I had to go through my vinyl the other day - was told it had to
go out in the garage - found a promo of Wanted Dead or Alive! I'd
completely forgotten I had it.
Still the album I listen to least. At the moment, the Rosarita Beach
Cafe is never far from the top of my playlist!
Cheers
Iain
(remembering trading tapes for paint with Snakeacp!)
Iain
I have that same vinyl promo album. It was the one I listened to
least, as well.