lindley
j***@erols.com
2008-04-11 15:42:31 UTC
for those who may not have seen (hey, it was news to me :) DL's new
CD is out, with 3 Z covers; *very* nice version of indifference of
heaven.

http://www.davidlindley.com/cgi-bin/dlshop.cgi

big twang

--j_a
Lucy Pfeffa
2008-04-11 18:27:57 UTC
Post by j***@erols.com
for those who may not have seen (hey, it was news to me :) DL's new
CD is out, with 3 Z covers; *very* nice version of indifference of
heaven.
http://www.davidlindley.com/cgi-bin/dlshop.cgi
big twang
--j_a
Thanks for pointing this out! I've posted the link to the WZBB.

-- Lucy
Dan
20 bucks for covers?
j***@erols.com
2008-04-11 18:58:35 UTC
Post by Dan
20 bucks for covers?
well you know it's just him and his wife and the cats. :)

he runs the CD operation out of his kitchen, it looks like.

but yeah, it helps if you're a DL fan. :)

--j_a
j***@LYC0S.C0M
2008-04-12 12:00:08 UTC
Post by Dan
Post by Lucy Pfeffa
Post by j***@erols.com
for those who may not have seen (hey, it was news to me :) DL's new
CD is out, with 3 Z covers; *very* nice version of indifference of
heaven.
http://www.davidlindley.com/cgi-bin/dlshop.cgi
big twang
--j_a
Thanks for pointing this out! I've posted the link to the WZBB.
-- Lucy
20 bucks for covers?
Well, in theory, doing "covers" cost the artist more, since he's got to
pay the writers and publishers- not that CD prices are based on length,
quantity or quality...

Me, I'm always shocked at the prices people will pay for T-shirts and
other artist chotskies but that's just me. I think I'd rather pay a few
dollars extra for a cd that 5+ times the cost of a T-shirt (and
Lindley's seem pretty reasonable compared to some others, IIRC, which
are in the $40-50 range - for the privilege of walking around as a human
billboard for some multi-millionaire.)
Joanne Corsano
2008-04-13 22:16:35 UTC
Post by j***@erols.com
for those who may not have seen (hey, it was news to me :) DL's new
CD is out, with 3 Z covers; *very* nice version of indifference of
heaven.
http://www.davidlindley.com/cgi-bin/dlshop.cgi
big twang
I have had the good fortune of hearing Lindley perform those three
Zevon covers. He does a great job with all three of them, especially,
as you mention, with "Indifference of Heaven," which, when I heard him
perform it, literally had me in tears.

I did, however, have to look down the list of songs on the CD twice to
find it ... heh heh ... what's this song called "Beneath the Vast
Indefference [sic] of Heaven"?

As for the price, does the $20 include shipping? If it does then it's
the same price as someone who charges $15 with $5 for shipping.

-Joanne

Post by j***@erols.com
at http://www.TitanNews.com <<<<
Peter Huish
2008-04-14 00:37:48 UTC
Similar experience here ...
j***@erols.com

Joanne Corsano
2008-04-13 22:27:34 UTC
One more note on Lindley. I just checked his website to see if he is
touring, and he will be later in the year, but as the opener for
acoustic Hot Tuna.

Yuck.

I made the dreadful mistake of going to see Jorma Kaukonen last year,
and it was the most boring show I've ever been to in my life. It just
can't be possible that this guy is the same musician who played that
fantastic, and highly recognizable lead guitar for Jefferson Airplane.
He has become a self-absorbed folkie who plays slow folk songs on his
guitar and doesn't interact with the audience at all. It was soooo
boring, there were people sitting on the floor with their eyes closed
at the show. I actually left the show early.

I'm not paying $38, plus Ticketbastard's fees, to see David Lindley
play for 30 minutes as the opener for an act I won't stay to see.

Too bad ... he is way too good for this.

Joanne

at http://www.TitanNews.com <<<<
Peter Huish
2008-04-14 00:37:07 UTC
Post by Joanne Corsano
I'm not paying $38, plus Ticketbastard's fees, to see David Lindley
play for 30 minutes as the opener for an act I won't stay to see.
Too bad ... he is way too good for this.
Seems the only way that I will get to see Lindley play live is as a
sideman to Jackson Browne. Not too bad an option I guess but you don't
get to hear that Zevon tunes or some of the other Lindley staples ...
Sean K. Patrick
--j_a
j***@erols.com
2008-04-15 13:34:51 UTC
Post by Sean K. Patrick
Anyone notice that ALL three covers are from Mutineer? Well if nobody
ever believed Dave when he said that that was his favorite album... :)
i'm trying to remember, but i think the cover of play it all night
long is on the cooder-lindley double album.... (also a very good
album, but way pricey. (!)

--j_a
Joanne Corsano
2008-04-17 11:56:24 UTC
On Mon, 14 Apr 2008 22:13:02 -0400, "Sean K. Patrick"
Post by Sean K. Patrick
Anyone notice that ALL three covers are from Mutineer? Well if nobody
ever believed Dave when he said that that was his favorite album... :)
Yes, of course I noticed this, as 'Mutineer' is also my favorite Zevon
album. I discussed this fact with David Lindley when I saw him perform
last year. We both said 'Mutineer' is our favorite Zevon album. We
complimented each other on our taste. :-)

A lot of musicians might cover something from 'Excitable Boy' or the
eponymous album, but to cover something from 'Mutineer' ... to cover
THREE songs from 'Mutineer' ... that is truly unusual.

Lindley's covers are extremely different from the originals. Every
Lindley song is enhanced with complicated and interesting
instrumentation, frequently on exotic instruments that many of us have
probably never heard of before. In the hands of a lesser musician,
this treatment might disguise the song to the point where it becomes
unrecognizable, or at least uninteresting; but this is not the case
with Lindley. The song is still the main thing with him.

He is a truly great musician, and his respect and love for Warren and
Warren's music really shine on his performance of the songs.

I am definitely going to purchase this CD.

-Joanne

Post by Sean K. Patrick
at http://www.TitanNews.com <<<<
Peter Huish
2008-04-18 12:48:22 UTC
Post by Joanne Corsano
Lindley's covers are extremely different from the originals. Every
Lindley song is enhanced with complicated and interesting
instrumentation, frequently on exotic instruments that many of us have
probably never heard of before. In the hands of a lesser musician,
this treatment might disguise the song to the point where it becomes
unrecognizable, or at least uninteresting; but this is not the case
with Lindley. The song is still the main thing with him.
He is a truly great musician, and his respect and love for Warren and
Warren's music really shine on his performance of the songs.
It is just a sign of respect I think. He wants to play the songs, put
his own interpretation to them but he still wants to keep the spirit of
the original. He extends them rather than rejinks them.
Post by Joanne Corsano
I am definitely going to purchase this CD.
It is on my list as well. Just got to see if $5 is the world-wide
postage amount :-)

pete