Zevon's Popularity
Dan
2008-10-26 20:51:38 UTC
It is kind of funny. When Zevon was alive I rarely ran into Zevon fans
in bars. Since he died I run into a lot more. Go figure.

-- Dan
Joanne Corsano
2008-10-28 16:18:56 UTC
Post by Dan
It is kind of funny. When Zevon was alive I rarely ran into Zevon fans
in bars. Since he died I run into a lot more. Go figure.
I can understand that there might have been a spike in interest in his
music when he got sick, with the VH1 special and attention paid to
'The Wind,' but it's been a few years now, and public interest wanes
notoriously quickly. Or did those folks who heard about Zevon for the
first time when he became ill actually delve into his back catalog and
discover what they'd been missing all those years?

I do think that death can be good for a musician's reputation. I
don't think The Doors would be anywhere near as popular today if it
hadn't been for Jim Morrison's untimely death. Same is probably true
of Jimi Hendrix. If your anecdotal barroom evidence is accurate, maybe
the same is true of Warren.

-Joanne

Post by Dan
at http://www.TitanNews.com <<<<
Lucy Pfeffa
2008-10-28 17:15:04 UTC
Post by Joanne Corsano
Post by Dan
It is kind of funny. When Zevon was alive I rarely ran into Zevon fans
in bars. Since he died I run into a lot more. Go figure.
I can understand that there might have been a spike in interest in his
music when he got sick, with the VH1 special and attention paid to
'The Wind,' but it's been a few years now, and public interest wanes
notoriously quickly. Or did those folks who heard about Zevon for the
first time when he became ill actually delve into his back catalog and
discover what they'd been missing all those years?
I do think that death can be good for a musician's reputation. I
don't think The Doors would be anywhere near as popular today if it
hadn't been for Jim Morrison's untimely death. Same is probably true
of Jimi Hendrix. If your anecdotal barroom evidence is accurate, maybe
the same is true of Warren.
-Joanne
I've heard (and I can't remember if it was from JZ, Crystal, or both of
'em) that WZ said he felt he'd become more popular after his death.
Perhaps that's so. I find a quite a few of the Zevoneers on the WZBB
came to Our Hero after The Wind was released.

-- Lucy
Flip Wilson
2008-11-05 03:07:20 UTC
Post by Joanne Corsano
Or did those folks who heard about Zevon for the
first time when he became ill actually delve into his back catalog and
discover what they'd been missing all those years?
I did. :) Bought the re-release of MBE and HLG, and Preludes. Can't wait
for the re-release of the blue album!
Lucy Pfeffa
Six more days!
Joanne Corsano
2008-11-10 13:07:22 UTC
Post by Flip Wilson
Post by Joanne Corsano
Or did those folks who heard about Zevon for the
first time when he became ill actually delve into his back catalog and
discover what they'd been missing all those years?
I did. :) Bought the re-release of MBE and HLG, and Preludes. Can't wait
for the re-release of the blue album!
I'm glad at least some who have found Zevon's music recently have also
found this newsgroup.

The "Blue Album"? By which I presume you mean the eponymous album?
I've never heard it referred to by color before, but it's certainly
easier to spell. :-)

Joanne

Post by Flip Wilson
Post by Joanne Corsano
at http://www.TitanNews.com <<<<
Lucy Pfeffa
2008-11-10 13:33:05 UTC
Post by Joanne Corsano
The "Blue Album"? By which I presume you mean the eponymous album?
I've never heard it referred to by color before, but it's certainly
easier to spell. :-)
Joanne
I like the way Jordan calls it on the front page of
WarrenZevon.com..."The MASTERPIECE returns..."

-- Lucy